Summer Sips: Paleo Cocktails
This time of year always makes us smile. It brings to mind so many summers spent at our grandmother's village in Northern Greece, where we have our summer home. Our entire (big, fat, Greek) family would gather there for just a few short weeks for beach time, BBQs and cocktail-hour by the seaside. In the spirit of those sweet summer days, we're sharing three of our all-time favorite cocktails, that are oh-so refreshing, and also paleo. Total bonus!
It's definitely those leisurely days at the beach, fanciful drink in hand, that we look forward to the most come summer. Cause, come on! Who doesn't? We've made sure one of our fruity concoctions - Strawberry Kiwi Mojito - is adult friendly (hello, vodka!). The other two are perfect for a post-workout pick-me-up, because of their health benefits and hydrating abilities. The deliciousness we're referring to is the Watermelon Workout Refresher and Coconut Strawberry Lemonade. Yeah!
Watermelon Workout Refresher
Summer is the season of workouts. We're always striving to look our best during this time – perhaps because the bikini's, crop tops and denim cutoffs come out to play. However, working out in the heat and humidity can be a killer. Sweating during a summer workout can easily deplete your water reserves and make you feel dizzy and weak. At this point, you could turn to sports drinks, but these are packed with more sugar than water! We've got a delicious and healthy alternative… with the nutritional information included - to help make your choice a little easier. Or, a no brainer!
Blend this drink right before you head out for your workout and just store it in the fridge until you get back, you can even pour it into a popsicle mold and savor a cool treat when you get home!
(1 bottle, 20 fl. oz.)
|Sodium||409 mg (if you use salt)||238 mg|
|Potassium||796 mg||91 mg|
|Magnesium||77 mg||0 mg|
|Calcium||72 mg||6 mg|
|Sugar content||16 grams||32 grams|
- 1 cup coconut water;
- 1 cup watermelon, cut into cubes;
- Juice from half a lime;
- Pinch of sea salt; (optional)
- Add all ingredients to blender (we use our bullet blender).
- Blend all ingredients until they are smooth and then serve!
Coconut Strawberry Lemonade
Nothing says summer like a cool glass of homemade lemonade! If you're feeling adventurous, you'll love this twist on a traditional favorite!
The best part about this fruity cocktail is that it can also be used as a post-workout refresher. Remember, hot summer temps can be brutal for your body. Dehydration and electrolyte loss can wreak havoc if not dealt with appropriately. So, when your sweat session is over, stir up a batch of this delightful thirst quencher to help you replenish, rehydrate and restore your system. Coconut water is full of potassium, aiding with muscle cramps, and the mint and citrus will be pure pleasure for your taste buds!
We've used strawberries for this recipe, but feel free to substitute for any type of fruit. The original recipe called for strawberries, but blueberries and pineapple would also make great additions!
- 6 mint leaves;
- 2 lemon slices;
- 2 lime slices;
- 6 strawberries, sliced, 4 strawberries, whole (for visual appeal);
- 2 cups coconut water;
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice;
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice;
- 1 tbsp. raw honey; (optional)
- Mash the mint, lemon, and lime slices using a mortar and pestle.
- Take the mixture and put it into a lemonade pitcher and add the lemon and lime juice.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, give it a good stir, and then refrigerate to chill.
- Serve with lots of ice. We love getting ice in fun shapes, like hearts and stars!
Strawberry Kiwi Mojito
If you're hosting a party, this fanciful drink with a little edge, is a palate pleaser. Add a splash of alcohol for an adult friendly option, or serve it up sans liquor for a perfect summertime smoothie. Not only does it taste incredible but the vibrant colors are sure to impress your guests.
Remember, eating healthy and paleo doesn't mean your regimen has to be so black and white. Alcohol, as far as paleo is concerned, is a rather grey area. If you simply don't tolerate alcohol well, then feel free to leave it out - you certainly won't be compromising on taste! However, if you enjoy having a drink socially, this is the perfect way. The majority of this drink is fruit (yum!), and it's much better to mix your own alcohol and fruit then to opt for a pre-made cocktail at a bar that's chock full of food coloring and sugar. So indulge!
- 1 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, roughly chopped;
- 1 1/2 cup frozen kiwi, roughly chopped;
- 8 fresh mint leaves;
- 2 oz. rum or vodka (optional)
- 2 cups crushed ice
- Add the frozen strawberries, 4 mint leaves, 1 cup of ice and 1 oz of rum to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry mojito into 2 glasses filling halfway.
- Repeat this process with the frozen kiwis and pour over the strawberry mixture.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and mint leaves.
- Serve chilled.